Mid Week Ladies Competition Tennis
Welcome to Waverley Tennis Midweek Ladies Comp
Waverley Tennis Mid Week Ladies Tennis competition provides competition tennis in the South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne for ladies wishing to play during the daytime. We are always looking for new clubs to join our competition or even new players. We can assist in suggesting a club for you to join or we also have an Association Emergency List that assists existing teams and gives variety and options to a player. If you or your Club are interested in knowing more, please read on, or contact our Executive Committee (phone numbers below).
Season 1 2023
Fixtures for Season 1 are now available on this site.
Just a reminder that there will be no comp on 16 February due to several teams participating in Country Week.
Section 1 team North Balwyn are looking for a player for their team.
Please contact Jane Cash 0419 327765
Section 3 team Lum Reserve (based in Wheelers Hill) are looking for an extra team member. Please contact Ann Coster 0418 560961
Section 4 team Clarinda are looking for an extra player for their team.
Please contact Tricia on 0408 106671
Grand Final Season 2 2022
Congratulations to all of this season's Grand Final Premiers!
All scores have been uploaded to the Results page.
A BIG thank you to our hosting clubs Vermont South and Legend Park Tennis Clubs for opening up their clubs for our Grand Finals. Much appreciated.
Lorraine Clarke Perpetual Memorial Trophy
Life Membership Judy Searl
Gill Quillinan Memorial Charity Event 2022
We were so happy to have such a successful day yesterday at our Gill Quillinan Memorial Charity Event. It was a full house with lots of tennis, socialising and a lovely lunch.
Thank you to Vermont South Tennis Club for hosting us and all donations and contributions.
We had a record profit for the day and are delighted to be able to make a donation of $1867 to OVARIAN CANCER RESEARCH FOUNDATION.
Pool Emergency Players
The new Mid Week Ladies Emergency Pool list is now available for Season 1 2023.
Don't have a team this season? Any NEW Pool Emergencies are most welcome
(all sections needed).
Contact Loreta - 0413 267839 for any Pool related enquiries.
CLICK HERE to open the Emergency Pool list
Annual General Meeting 2022
The 42nd Annual General Meeting for the WDTA - Midweek Ladies' Division was held on Thursday, 16 June. A big thank you to Vermont South Tennis Club for hosting our AGM.
Click here for Minutes of the AGM
There were two changes made to the ByLaws:-
- emergency players MUST only play in positions 3 or 4 (with the exception of Section1)
- home teams to supply all four new balls for a final
Full copy of the current ByLaws can be found below.
MidWeek Ladies ByLaws
Season 2 - 2022
- 3 November Oaks Day - No Tennis
- 17 November Semi Finals
- 24 November Preliminary Finals
- 1 December Grand Finals
- 8 December Spare (if required)
Season 1 - 2023
- 2 February Season 1 Commences
- 16 February Country Week - No Tennis
- 13 April School Holidays - No Tennis
- 20 April School Holidays - No Tennis
- 1 June Semi Finals
- 8 June Preliminary Finals
- 15 June Grand Final
- 22 June Spare (If required)
Note that finals dates are based on 8 team draw and may differ if 6 team draw.
Whilst there is no official Tennis Victoria directive regarding the choice of hand-shaking or racquet tapping at the end of sets, could we please ask that players personal preferences be respected.
This year WDTA-MWL will NOT be issuing a fine to any team that forfeit due to a reason connected in any way to Covid, for the safety of all players.
This information MUST be included in the comments box when entering scores/forfeits online.
Please ensure that all players in your team are aware of the following and play accordingly:-
"If any part of the ball touches any outside part of the line, no matter how minimal, the ball is deemed IN.
If you are unsure, all line calls must be to the benefit of the OPPOSITION."
Entering and confirming scores online
Click here for step by step instructions on how to enter your scores. If you are having trouble please contact Record Secretary via email address listed below. Scores MUST be in by Friday 8pm. Thank you.
How to print your Fixture page
Fixtures are now available online - no longer available as a Handbook. You can print your own fixtures via this website as follows:
- Click on FIXTURES link (in the blue banner above)
- Select a Competition (Thursday AM from the drop down box)
- Select a Section
- Select a Team
- Then click on the "download PDF" link (just underneath the Select a Section box).
- Then simply PRINT or SAVE.
Note that all Team Captains and their Contact phone numbers are now included under the details for each team (any errors please let us know).
- Home and Away daytime Thursday Competition
- 2 Seasons per Calendar Year (Feb to June / July to Dec)
- Starting time 9.30 am (can vary)
- 2 Courts per match
- 4 ladies per team - change partners each set
- 6 double sets per match - no rubbers
- Sets are first to 8 - tiebreak at 7 all
- Emergency Pool Players available (see note below)
- Semi-Finals, Preliminary-Finals & Grand Finals - no umpires required in any finals games
- Home venues for Semi & Preliminary Finals - with Grand Finals at courts designated by Committee.
- Online scoring system
- A mid-year tournament - all levels most welcome - The Annual Gill Quillinan Memorial Charity Event. Proceeds from this tournament are donated to Ovarian Cancer Research.
Clubs & Court Locations
Please click here to download a printable version of the WDTA Midweek ladies Participating Clubs & Court Locations - current as at November 2021.
Mid-Week Ladies Emergency Pool Players
Our Competition permits the use of Emergency Pool Players. This saves the need for teams to forfeit (with the associated fine).
Emergency Pool Players:
- must belong to a club affiliated with Tennis Victoria.
- are permitted to play for any club as many times as necessary in their personal grade or above at the discretion of the Executive Committee.
- may still play for their own club as an emergency.
- must be recorded on the Emergency Pool List by contacting the Record Secretary prior to playing at email@example.com
Special Pool Emergency Rules applicable for Finals:
All Pool Emergencies (with the exception of Section 7) are not permitted to play in their personal grade during Finals (irrespective of how many matches they have played in that grade). They are only permitted to play above their personal grade in Finals. A request MUST be made to Record Secretary prior to using ANY Pool Emergencies in Finals.
Don't have a team for next season? We would love to hear from any NEW players wishing to be placed in the Emergency Pool.
All Grades are welcome! Please contact Joy Kaias 0413 399038
WDTA Midweek Ladies Committee 2022/23
- President: Marg Clark - 0418 580 337 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary: Joy Kaias - 0413 399 038 - email@example.com
- Treasurer: Jenny Lomdahl - 0404 831 544 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Record Secretary: Noela Steinfort 0409 423 825 email@example.com
- Pool Emergencies: Loreta Piggott 0413 267839
- Website: Kym Bircham 0407 884949
- General Committee: Judy Searl, Nola Williams, Loreta Piggott, Kym Bircham & Alison Copley
History of the Lorraine Clark Memorial Perpetual Trophy
Lorraine Clark was on the founding committee for the Mid-week Ladies Competition and became the inaugural President. WDTA Ladies commenced with 14 participating Clubs and she served as President for 6 years and remained on the general committee until 1991 when she was awarded Life Membership. It is pleasing to note that our Mid-week ladies competition has expanded over the years from it’s small beginnings. Lorraine attended the Gill Quillan tournament in July 2014 but sadly passed away in December 2014.
The Lorraine Clark Memorial Perpetual Trophy was introduced in 2001 as an encouragement award in her honour. The perpetual trophy is now presented to the team who achieved the highest points at the end of each season over all sections.