Update: 12th May from Tennis Victoria
The announcements by the State Government last Monday (11 May 2020) eased the Coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions to allow the playing of some limited forms of tennis as from 13 May 2020.
At this stage, the only permitted tennis activities are social play, coaching and training.
The details of the restrictions and requirements to be met to allow these activities are on Tennis Victoria's website.
Please note that each club must also get approval from their local Council to be able to reopen their facilities. There are differing requirements from each Council so clubs must contact their own for guidance.
Unfortunately, competition is still not permitted until further restrictions on sport and recreation activities are lifted.
Waverley Tennis is still hopeful of getting its Winter Season 2020 underway, perhaps in June after the Queen's Birthday Weekend, or after the Term 2 school holidays in mid July.
A restart of all of our competitions will be discussed by the Committee of Management when it meets by Skype later this week and a Communique will be issued to all Affiliated Tennis Clubs shortly after this meeting.
Vale Len Pratt
It is with great sadness that Waverley Tennis advise all our players and club officials of the passing of our dear colleague and friend, Len Pratt, last Easter Sunday evening, 12 April 2020.
- Len joined Waverley Tennis in 1980 when his wife Peg (deceased) was a Junior Records Secretary.
- He joined the Committee of Management (COM) in 2002 as Senior Winter Competition Records Secretary and continued as Records Secretary for one of either Junior or Senior seasons from 2002 to 2010.
- From 2011 Len continued as a COM member and was the Mid-Week Mens Records Secretary and helped in many other activities.
- Len was also the editor and producer of the Association Newsletter "Waverley Informer" since the first issue in 1994. Starting with a simple one-page document he continued improving it to the fine multipage glossy publication it is today.
- Len was the Association photographer.
- Both Len and Peg were Life Members of Waverley Tennis.
Len was a longstanding member of the Waverley Tennis COM, was the Mid-Week Men's Record Secretary and the editor and publisher of the Waverley Tennis newsletter, the Waverley Informer, until early this year, when he was hospitalised for several weeks before moving to aftercare at Estia Health in Ringwood.
Len was very jovial and bright to the end and was still fully in communication with his much-loved family and the world in general, "I have Facebook, Foxtel, Netflix and now Facetime."
Len welcomed everyone, regardless of ability, to the world of tennis, and his qualities were fairness, inclusiveness, teamwork and passion within the world of tennis.
Len's passion for tennis was not just to Waverley Tennis and the Doveton Tennis Club, but also to the Melbourne Churches Tennis Association and his beloved All Saints East Malvern Tennis Club (now Glendearg All Saints Tennis Club).
Len's late wife, Peg was also a great contributor and we have now lost two special Waverley team members. We were lucky to have had their contribution in so many ways for so long.
Len's contribution to all these tennis clubs and organisations has been monumental and his drive and inspiration will be sorely missed by all those who had the privilege to meet him. We have lost a great warrior for tennis.
Waverley Tennis and the Committee of Management are much saddened by losing such a great friend and supporter, as, no doubt, are we all.
Our sympathies are with Len's family, his children, grand children and great-grand children.
(Len also loved the colour red, hence the shirt, and the theme.)
WAVERLEY TENNIS ASSOCIATION MEETINGS
All meetings are held at the Nottinghill Pinewood Tennis Club, Baker Avenue, Glen Waverley commencing at 7:30pm. Attendance is compulsory for all member clubs who are fielding Junior and Senior teams in the upcoming season.
- Council meeting: Thursday 13 August 2020 (AGM) (to be advised)
- Match Convenors meetings: Winter 2020 (to be advised) & 6 October 2020
WAVERLEY TENNIS HOT SHOTS MATCHPLAY
2020 Term 2 has been cancelled.
If possible, a Carnival or Round Robin will be held on the scheduled Term 2 Presentation day, Sunday 21 June, or at an available time prior to Term 3.
(More details on the Communique, use above link.)
- Term 3 entries close 24 July
- The Term 2 entry packs can be used for Term 3.
Hotshots Matchplay is the first step in the Waverley Tennis player development pathway. This is a great way to introduce young players & parents to competition tennis. Read More
WAVERLEY JUNIOR SQUADS
If you would like to represent Waverley Tennis, please speak to your coach or contact Lyn Gillen, Tournament Manager & Junior Development Squad Liaison Officer on 03 9802 1002 or Email: email@example.com
- Waverley Tennis wins Daphne Fancutt Shield 2020 (& 2019)
- Waverley Tennis wins Pat Cash Cup 2019
MID-WEEK MEN'S COMPETITION
Spring Season 2020 start date to be advised.
Enquires to Lindsay Coster email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Waverley Tennis Office Bearer Vacancies
The following positions are vacant and Waverley Tennis is seeking expressions of interest from persons interested in filling any of these positions:
- Vice President
- Night Competition Convenor
- NIght Competition Committee Member (at least 2 additional members required, ideally suited to current tennis club Night Tennis Convenors)
- Junior Committee Member (at least 3 required, ideally suited for tennis club Junior Convenors)
Please forward expressions of interest to President, Mark Collins, who can provide a job description to any interested person.Contact details are: email@example.com or tel: 0403 047 541
Pinewood Community Bank
The Pinewood Community Bank Branch of Bendigo Community Bank, a significant Sponsor of the Association, invites affiliated clubs and their members to participate in their Community Support program.
Click here for more information.