Spring 2019 - Final Ladders
The Spring 2019 Season Grand Finals were completed in fine weather last Wednesday at RRTC.
As we have come to expect there was a great turnout of spectators to enjoy the tennis and social engagement.
Congratulations to all players contesting the matches and thank you to players and spectators for your support of MWM.
Results from Grand Finals - 27th November 2019
|A Reserve||Glen Waverley Stars defeated by Wheelers Hill Frogs 3-39 to 3-41. Last 2 sets tie-breakers, one each way.|
|B Special||Bayview defeated Burden Park Blue 3-40 to 3-37. The marathon of the day with 3 tie-breakers.|
|B Grade||St Christopher's Green defeated Glen Waverley 6-48 to 0-19. A convincing win in their first season of MWM.|
|C Special||Essex Heights defeated Lum Reserve 3-39 to 3-34. Another close contest.|
|C Grade||Burden Park defeated Glen Waverley 4-46 to 2-33. Another battle with Glen Waverley having to go to tie-breakers to wint their 2 sets.|
Thank you to Doug Sowden for handling the high pressure task of being Court Director with 10 sets trying to fit on 9 courts with all those highly strung competitors!
Thanks also to Mark Collins for his Presidential support in attending and presenting trophies and Premiership Banners.
Special mention to Roger Owens & Martin Andrews for their culinary contributions in supporting the regular team of workers.
Next Season - Autumn 2020 Entries
- The entry form is now available.
- Closing date is Wednesday 1st January 2020.
- First match is on 5th February 2020.
- Please try to complete the form "on screen" via a PC, as it will help us to get team member names correct on the web results entry system. If you cannot complete the form "on screen" provide me with all details as soon as possible. I will then complete it "on screen" and email back to you for a final OK.
- Please note that the entry form requires Acrobat Reader DC to be completed. It will not work with the built-in PDF reader in Windows or on Mac, nor will it work with the PDF reader in your browser. Using the stand-alone Acrobat Reader will work.
Please open the communication lines with all players in your team as well as other prospects to make sure we maximise player satisfaction and an even competition with more teams if at all possible.
Out-of-Season Social Tennis
Wednesday Morning Social TennisOpportunities for tennis, coffee, nibbles & natters at Burden Park, Glen Waverley and Whites Lane Mulgrave [slightly later start for the oldies & lower grades]
Bring a new prospect along and ask about the free lunch for you & them!
Review of Guidelines
The Sub-Committee will be reviewing the July 2019 issue of the Guidelines (link below) and be paying particular attention to sections -> D Emergencies Home & Away Matches & -> F Qualification for Finals.
We invite input from Club Captains, and others, to improve the effectiveness and fairness of these guidelines noting that the objective is to have certainty in application and fairness to teams on "both sides of the net".
Criticism of present guidelines & their interpretation and suggestions for improvement can be emailed over the next 4 weeks.
New Players & New Teams - as always very welcome please contact us now if you are, or know prospects.
Best Wishes for Christmas & the New YearRegards,
Any questions about how the competition runs can be found in the Guidelines, issued July 2019.
Join the MWM email list!
If you want to know about what is happening in the world of Mid Week Mens, and can't always check this page, contact Lindsay on mwm AT waverleytennis.asn.au and ask to be put on the email list.
2019 - Spring fixture and results
MWM WEB PAGE
We are seeking support from all players to build the information appearing on our webpage at www.waverleytennis.asn.au Mid Week Mens. An effort is being made to include more information of interest including photos, results, ladders and other items of interest.
Please let your captains know or submit information by email to mwm AT waverleytennis.asn.au
Bendigo Bank Pinewood sponsor
Bendigo Bank Pinewood sponsors our Tennis activities in a positive way so if you have any finanacial needs, please contact the Pinewood Branch, they will look after you.
Click here for more information.
- Played on Wednesday mornings: 9.30am - 12.30pm (approx)
- Open aged: from 20's to 80's
- Five grades catering to all standards
- Each team fields 4 players, but 5, or 6, can be used if you wish.
- Three sets of doubles per player per match on 2 courts
- Sets are first to 8 games (to 6 games in lowest section) with provision for variation by agreement. A tiebreak is played at 7 all.
- Coffee/tea and light lunch hosted by home team
- Participation costs are set by home club but are approximately $2-$4 per match
- Teams have more than 4 players to accommodate injury, travel and "she who must be obeyed"
- Organiser is only too happy to help place new comers in a team
Social Play & Final Events
All grades come together at Robinson Reserve Tennis Centre (RRTC), Doveton (Home of Waverley Tennis), for the Grand Final series. Facilities available for other players and friends. Grand Finals are followed by BBQ lunch for all, and presentation of trophies to players representing winning teams and runners-up in each grade.
The Grand Finals Day at the RRTC has developed into a much looked forward to social event where all players renew old friendships and develop new ones whilst watching intensely contested Grand Finals and enjoying the BBQ lunch.
[Last updated: 10/06/2019]